Thursday, September 20, 2007

Baseline ultrasound

I had the baseline ultrasound yesterday. Oy! That bitch hurt! I guess not having a husband around for a few months did not make the process any easier. Luckily it didn’t last too long. At one point the nurse pointed to the screen and said “that is your uterus, where your baby will be.” It gave me chills to hear that, but I couldn’t really see anything on the screen.

The RE is going to look at the results, but I didn’t get an indication from the nurse that she saw anything abnormal. She said my follicles were measuring the right size and once she found both ovaries (right side was not being cooperative – probably not use to having something up there!) said those looked pretty good too.

I had bloodwork today, start Letrozole tonight, and have the HSG test next Thursday. To be honest I am a little scared of the HSG test now – my RE said the ultrasound wouldn’t hurt at all (WRONG!) and the HSG would be painful. Perhaps my pain tolerance sucks. I am not exactly looking forward to next Thursday, other than to hopefully rule out a tube problem.

My husband called last night to ask about the ultrasound. I was already asleep when he called so I didn’t think to sugar coat the procedure and ended up telling him that I pretty much got violated with one of those sticks they use at the airport to show the airplanes what gate to pull into, complete with condom and KY. It was funny to hear him gasp.

5 comments:

I_Sell_Books said...

Don't forget to take painkillers 1-2 hours before your HSG, and get a wee prescription for painkillers for afters. Make sure you're going to be comfortable for a least 24hours afterwards if not longer if the HSG is painful.

I don't want to scare you, but I went through 4 days of hell after the 1st one, had no pain at all during or after the second one. Of course, I ended up in the ER after the second one, but that's another story. Let's just say there's a big difference between 'you might spot a little' and passing clots the size of your palm. So bring a pad, too!

Amy Anderson said...

First of all, I love that the nurse was so positive. It gave me chills to read the, "That's where your baby will be." I love it.

Second, at my doc's office, they use an exam glove to cover the dildo cam. They use the thumb, so the rest of the fingers hang off the side. It's hilarious.

A'Dell said...

I had an HSG last week and posted about it. I was scared but it was really nothing at all. They say that everyone is different but it was a total cakewalk for me. Good luck!

Geohde said...

I've never had the pleasure of having radioopaque dye shoved through what feels like a cervical hosepipe, so good luck.

As for the 'where te baby will be' comment, I'm not superstitious but I cringe whenever someone from my clinic says something daft like that. I mean, if it was 'where the baby will be', I wouldn't be here having fertility treatment, would I?

:)

J

Geohde said...

Urk, just noticed that this is sept, so it's long gone!

My bad!