Friday, July 10, 2009

Confusion

I went to the doctor today to find out for sure if I am pregnant. Even though I have had four positive tests I was still nervous. Turns out I had good reason to be nervous - the pee test at the clinic came back negative...twice. They did a blood test and just called me with the result. She said my HCG is 15 - and congratulated me. Isn't this bad news? I assume she was giving me my beta. My beta at 18 dpo when I miscarried was 14. My beta at 14 dpiui with Grace was 211. I have no idea when I ovulated, but I still don't think a 15 sounds like reason to celebrate.


This was not my ob/gyn office, it was our crappy military clinic that I have to go in order to get a referral to my ob/gyn. I was pretty upset when I got the negative at the clinic, and given my history they were nice enough to give me a referral to see my regular dr this afternoon. The ob/gyn office also took bloodwork which won't be back until Monday. I am not feeling optimistic.

2 comments:

Dr Aniruddha Malpani said...

Most people have no clue what infertile couples go through.

The hunger and longing for a baby – and the frustration and pain of having to deal with failed IVF cycles is something which most infertile couples learn to deal with in the privacy of their bedrooms.

This is why many people end up saying stuff to infertile couples which is inaccurate and unhelpful – and they often add insult to injury by saying hurtful things, even when they don’t intend to cause pain ( for example, “ Just relax and you’ll get pregnant ! “ )

In order to bridge this gap between the fertile world and infertile couples, we have produced an animated cartoon film called, Making Babies – Everything you wanted to know but didn’t know whom to ask ! You can watch it free at http://ivfindia.com/movie/babymaking.html.

Feedback is welcome !

Regards,

Dr Aniruddha Malpani, MD
Malpani Infertility Clinic, Jamuna Sagar, SBS Road, Colaba
Bombay 400 005. India
Tel: 91-22-22151065, 22151066, 2218 3270
FAX ( India) 91-22-22150223.

Helping you to build your family !

PS Watch our infertility cartoon film at http://www.ivfindia.com

Read our book, How to Have a Baby - A Guide for the Infertile Couple,
online at www.DrMalpani.com !

Read my blog about improving the doctor-patient
relationship at http://doctorandpatient.blogspot.com/

Chastity said...

It's so hard to say whether a 15 is bad news when you have no idea how far along you are. My miscarriage beta was 16.5, but I was at a point where it should have been been 40+. Are they going to retest you to see if it doubles in 48 hours?